Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Waiting to Bloom


I’m not sure exactly where the idea came from. I guess it sort of went like this: I was reflecting on my time here in Romania so far, and trying to sort out why I felt like I haven’t really done much of anything. In some ways, I can see things being accomplished but I’m not “flourishing”; I’m still not really serving the Lord as I would hope or investing in people as I want to, etc. That line of thinking brought to mind the saying, “bloom where you’re planted”. I thought back and felt with certainty that I had been blooming for the Lord’s glory at home in the States, but here, I realized, it feels more like I have been surviving… not quite the same thing as blooming! This is where the idea came in I think. And I’m pretty sure it is from the Lord, in fact, I’m pretty sure I heard His “voice”, “Take it easy on yourself; I’ve transplanted you.”

HUH! I thought more about that concept. I wondered, if a plant is transplanted, does it need some time to re-establish its roots and get oriented before it continues to grow…before it can bloom? I knew what I needed to do next- GOOGLE IT (of course)!

There wasn’t too much information available but what I read confirmed my presuppositions. One site I found said: “Remember that it may take weeks or months for a new transplant to overcome the shock of a move and actually start to grow again. Trees may take a full year to complete the adjustment.”

Sounded a bit like missions training! And then I remembered that in the Bible, God’s children are at times referred to as His “plantings”.

“…To console those who mourn in Zion, to give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; That they may be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.” – Isaiah 61:3

So the idea is… I am His planting. He has chosen to transplant me here in Romania. He has the foresight to know that I will bloom again for Him… for His glory…in time. He is patient with the process and is encouraging me to be the same.

I am waiting to bloom, but in fact, I do think I am beginning to bud!!! :) Meanwhile, I will seek to extend myself the same amazing grace that the Lord offers to me and trust in His word (and see to it that I get plenty of water and sunlight).

“The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree, he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. Those who are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing, to declare that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him.”

Psalm 92: 12-15

Amen

1 comment:

Tara said...

Such a perfect post for me today. I understand, I understand!!

We transplanted a load of shrubs a couple of years ago and I saw the effects up close. They really required a lot of TLC. Some of them grew BRIGHT ORANGE leaves - on a green bush. I read up on it, asked around and found out . . . they were under stress. I wanted to trim the crazy stressy orange leaves off, but it would've caused the plant to strive harder to survive - and probably more orange leaves. Eventually, green began to grow out. And some bushes. which didn't get the TLC during the transition, didn't fare so well. Hmmm. . .

I bet my orange is showing.