Bizzy bizzy bizzy bee was me! What a packed, eventful summer. I guess summers usually are! Sorry for falling behind on entries once again. I'm going to try to squish everything into an update here :)
So July was DeClar English Camp. This was the third DeClar camp for me, and I helped out with preteens/teens again this year. We had a team of more people working with the youth and sharing the load made a big difference in how I was able to personally enjoy the camp as a whole and connect with more people. While non of the teens outwardly stated that they wanted to begin a personal relationship with Jesus (clear invitation to do so at the end), I couldn't shake the feeling that a couple of them were "there". I might have the opportunity to follow up with some of them in a Bible study... please keep that in your prayers and stay tuned.
Overall, we had beautiful weather and a really good time. Yippeee!
And as usual, my birthday was at camp - this time on the last day, which just included a quick message in the morning, lunch and packing up the bus. However, what was NOT usual was the surprise visit from a couple fellow GEMers to help make my really BIG (in number) birthday, also BIG in specialness. :) I was so blessed.
That blessing continued as a I soon headed to my next adventure of the summer. Having been aching badly to be by the water, I decided a special birthday celebration was in order, and another GEMer friend, Erin, who also had a milestone birthday, decided it was a good idea too.
With the blessings of decent airfares through WizzAir, we made Larnaca, Cyprus our destination. It was just what the Birthday Doctor ordered. I got to see and swim in water of all shades of blue, especially during our 1/2 day boat tour we took on our last day. I enjoyed eating some much missed fresh seafood (calamari was especially good there)... as well as being on the beach. I sigh deep reflecting on it now. So grateful.
There wasn't much time to savor the aftermath of vacation when I returned to Timisoara, though. I had just three days until I needed to leave again for the second camp. Those days were packed with preparation and trying to get myself ready to go from the luxury of hotel living by the water to "roughing" it in the mountains, minus indoor plumbing, etc...
The camp took place in the Anina mountains, near the community I have been working in with Casa Dorca (Prilipet). We had about 17 kids (some came and went), with a wide range of ages starting at 8 years old. Seven of them were from Casa Dorca and were able to come only because they were sponsored... a special "Thank you" to my peeps who sponsored a child!!!
We had different English groups by level and while I was supposed to be floating and helping from group to group, the Romanian teacher involved needed to leave due to illness. I ended up being the teacher for the little beginners... they were very cute and we got along well :)
Every day was chock full of activities besides English... games, bible lesson, craft, excursions, songs and camp fire... I was absolutely exhausted... and very dirty at the end of it all.
Of course it was worth it. I think the children were blessed, and we know from their evaluations that at least some of them were also challenged spiritually by the teachings on how to be a friend of God, done by a local pastor.
I'll leave it there for now. I'm still recovering but doing well and starting to get organized for the Fall routine, and hopefully to match the two ready mentors in Timisoara!!!
Praying your summer's been blessed as well. Enjoy every last bit of it! God bless you...
No comments:
Post a Comment