
I'm sort of doing a reading plan for the Bible this year. It is actually the first time trying something of that sort. In general, my personality tends toward the "variety is the spice of life" theory and have typically done my Bible reading in various ways throughout the years... study guides, online series, topically, randomly...etc. Anyway, I am pretty well behind schedule already for reading the Bible in a year (and New Testament twice) but I like the format of the plan and want to keep to it the best I can anyway. I'll "finish" whenever I "finish".
I guess the plan even caters to my affinity for variety because it runs through two chapters in the Old Testament and two in the New for every day.
"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12
This is just so true and an amazing witness to the truth of the Scriptures, and consequently, the truth of Jesus Christ (Who is the Word - John 1:1)
As I've been reading, I find myself really present and entering into the "stories" of the Bible in a way I don't think I have in the past (generally). And while I'm reading four different passages of scripture written over different centuries, I'm finding the Holy Spirit is often speaking a common message to me throughout them. Neat O, eh!?
Anyway, what I wanted to share here is that ministry has never been easy. Over and over I found myself wondering during my reading, what made me think it would all go smooth as pie? There is NOTHING in the Word of God to indicate that a life dedicated to God and His work will mean a cake walk. I just noticed all the dessert references... I'm hungry. BUT it fits! Sometimes it isn't sweet, but bitter to the taste, and this doesn't mean that God isn't in it, that He isn't working, or that the end result won't be victory. In my human condition, I crave for all to go "right" in my eyes, for things to be easy and just "work out" how I expect. But it isn't always that way. Still He is with us, He guides us...every once in a while He does something miraculous. Enemies are defeated, resistance breaks down, a heart is changed... a life reborn. It is worth it all.
Blessings to you today my friends... keep on keepin' on because His plans are always good.
No comments:
Post a Comment